Spring cleaning is a great way to refresh the entire look of your home and, most of all, to contribute to a healthy living environment. If you have other priorities or problems standing in the way, you can always hire a professional cleaning company. However, if you decide to do the cleaning yourself, here are some tips that will help you organize your work and help you remember the basic things that you have to do in order to freshen up your home.
- Wipe the dust from every room, clean or replace the air conditioning filters, clean all pipes and vents to reduce exposure to pollen and other allergens. Vacuum the ceiling, the carpets, the tapestry, the mattresses and the areas hidden under the furniture, for dust, pollen and cobwebs.
- Wash and remove stains from fabrics and surfaces.
- Organize your shelves and cabinets. Throw away old and unnecessary things, clean the remaining objects with a soft damp cloth and use your imagination to arrange them aesthetically.
- Wash windows with a solution composed of 80 ml of distilled white vinegar and a tablespoon of dish washing detergent, dissolved in 250 ml water. Use a sponge for washing the windows and then a soft cloth and/ or newspapers to wipe them completely and remove any stain.
- Check the storage areas as well (garage, basement). Throw away things that cannot be used anymore and pay extra-attention to potentially toxic substances. Dispose them safely, to avoid polluting the environment. Remove as much dust as possible from the storage areas and wash the shelves, containers and other surfaces.
- Check your wardrobe. It is not a bad idea to consider giving away, periodically, things that you no longer wear. Wash the shelves and be sure to put cinnamon sticks, bay leaves, cloves or lavender to keep away moths and other insects.
- Wash and clean the toilet bowl. You can safely use baking soda, borax or a solution of water and vinegar, to wipe the outside of the toilet.
- Use vinegar also to clean all traces of mold in bathrooms and other wet areas. Remember that molds can trigger allergic reactions in sensitive individuals, so take some measures to also reduce humidity.
- Disinfect sensitive areas and objects.
In order to be as efficient as possible, remember to start cleaning from top to bottom and from the inside to the outside; clean every room at a time and try to do two things simultaneously (cleaning and re-arranging your wardrobe while programming the washing machine to do the laundry etc.)